This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Lifeguard at Kandiyohi County Area Family YMCA intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model; completes related reports as required.
- Responds to challenges with possible solutions in a timely manner.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when challenged by others. 6.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state health department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Assume other duties, responsibilities and projects identified as needed by the employee and approved and/or assigned by supervisor.
- Critical Thinking & Decision Making
- Emotional Maturity
- Functional Expertise
- Minimum age of 15
- BLS/BFA/02 certification within first 30 days of employment
- Current YMCA Lifeguard certification or equivalent
- Additional trainings as required by the position • Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental readiness
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust.
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.
- Pool Area
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Take the first steps to join our team by filling out the employment application below. Upon completing the application, download it to your computer and email it to Karla Nelson, Finance & HR Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.